Saturday, January 13, 2018

Slimming World 1/2 Syn Blueberry Muffins

I have a confession. I can't stand blueberries. Horrible tart little feckers that are creepy looking on the inside. No thank you. If I'm gonna eat fruit, it had better taste and look sweet and delicious. Blueberries do not fit the bill. However, put them in a big sugary muffin and it's another story altogether. I adore blueberry muffins and I make the best ones ever with a crispy sugary lemon topping. I wanted some of that and wondered could I adapt baked oats to suit.

I played around and came up with this recipe which was both filling and delicious. It serves one, makes two muffins and counts as your Healthy Extra B for oats. I do not syn the blueberries, because I don't feel this is a tweak... tweaks generally mean fecking around with ingredients to create something they're not meant to be, resulting in you overeating. Perhaps if I'd made a massive batch of these I would have syned the blueberries, because the propensity is there to overindulge, but I made two muffins with a handful of blueberries so feck it. I won't use all my syns today anyways, so they'll fit in regardless.  Do whatever you feel is right. A handful of cooked blueberries will probably work out between 1-2 syns. I did syn the sweetener.

Ingredients

  • 40g porridge oats (about a teaspoon reserved)
  • 4 tablespoons 0% fat Greek yoghurt
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 tsp sweetener*
  • Zest of one lemon**
  • Dash of lemon extract (optional)
  • Handful of blueberries
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 200C/400F

Mix the oats-less the reserved portion, yoghurt, lemon juice, eggs, 1 tbsp sweetener, lemon zest, extract if using, and blueberries. 

Spray two muffin cups with cooking spray.  Spoon in the mixture.

Mix the reserved oats with the remaining sweetener and sprinkle on top of the muffins.

Bake 20 minutes or until risen and golden. 

* I used Sukrin available at Holland and Barrett in Clonmel

** To get perfect citrus zest without rind, every time, I use a microplane grater. I've had mine almost 20 years now. It's brilliant, wouldn't be without one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wen's Chow Mein - Slimified!

So my cousin married the most amazing woman, Wen. She has become a good friend and a couple of years ago they came down to visit so she co...